- General Orthopedics
- Joint Replacement
- Sports Medicine
- Pain Management
- Upper Extremity
- Foot and Ankle
Continuing a Legacy of Orthopedic Excellence
The origins of Lakeshore Bone & Joint Institute began more than 50 years ago when Dr. Albin Jahns opened a practice in Gary, Indiana. Doctors Olson and Alvarez later joined him; the three doctors soon moved to a larger space in Merrillville.
In 1975, the practice founded the Valparaiso Orthopedic Clinic on the north side of Valparaiso, and shortly thereafter, Dr. James A. Malyter joined the group. In 1990, with three more orthopedic specialists, they undertook a major expansion of their Valparaiso offices. Their vision was to provide stellar orthopedic care in Northwest Indiana.
It took little time to grow out of the Valparaiso clinic and the need for a total makeover became apparent. A changeover took form and started with a change in name. Valparaiso Orthopedic Clinic became Lakeshore Bone and Joint Institute. The goal was to create a comprehensive orthopedic bone and joint center that would serve Porter County and the surrounding Northwest Indiana communities. The partner physicians made a commitment to create a complete orthopedics care center that would better serve the orthopedic need of the patients of Northwest Indiana under one roof.
In 2003, ground was broken in Chesterton’s Coffee Creek Center with completion of the two-story, 35,000 square foot building in May of 2004. The exam rooms are arranged in pod configuration. 6 doctors can practice from one location and get patients in quickly and efficiently. Since the opening in Chesterton, additional Northwest Indiana locations were opened to reach out to the community and better serve the patients with a higher level of care.
Our founders and most of the current partners are from Northwest Indiana and Chicago. Lakeshore Bone and Joint Institute employs more than 150 healthcare and support staff. Close, convenient, stellar care.
To provide excellence in musculoskeletal care to all of our patients, using state-of-the-art technology, with integrity and a spirit of compassion that encompasses all that we do.
Lakeshore Bone & Joint Institute will provide:
Provide optimal outcomes for our patients; restore, maintain and enhance health. Using an integrated approach, we are dedicated to providing quality surgical and non-surgical care to our patients.
Strive to meet and exceed expectations for those we are dedicated to serve – our patients, their families and the referral sources that trust their patients to our care.
Recognize that cooperation between ourselves, our clinical and business partners will be essential in providing outstanding healthcare services. Build a network of resources that will combine into an integrated seamless system of musculoskeletal care to our patients.
Lakeshore Bone and Joint Institute was found by:
- Albin A. Jahns, M.D. Founder - deceased
- L. Dale Olson, M.D. - deceased
- Paul Alvarez, M.D. - deceased
Northwest Indiana Community Support
- Lakeshore Bone and Joint Institute doctors are team physicians for:
- Valparaiso University
- Calumet College of St. Joseph
- Andrean High School
- Chesterton High School
- Kankakee Valley High School
- Portage High School
- Valparaiso High School
- Wheeler High School
- We offer a Saturday Sports Clinic at Chesterton Office. Hours during the school year are 7:30 a.m. – 8:30 a.m.
- Lakeshore Bone and Joint Institute is proud to support the following local organizations in Northwest Indiana:
- Boone Grove High School Athletic Department
- Boys and Girls Club of Porter County
- Chesterton Firefighters Golf Outing
- Chesterton High School Athletic Department
- Chicago Fire Juniors NW Indiana Soccer Club
- The Courts of Northwest Indiana
- Crown Point High School Athletic Department
- LaPorte Hospital Foundation
- Opportunity Enterprises
- Portage High School Athletic Department
- Portage Little League
- Portage Parks Dept. Volleyball Program
- Robbie Hummel Basketball Camp
- State Park Little League
- Valparaiso Americans Home Run Sponsor
- Valpo Pop Warner Sponsor
- Valparaiso University Athletics – Corporate Sponsor
- Valparaiso Vikings Quarterback Club
- Washington Township Golf Outing
- Wheeler High School Athletic Department
LBJI New Location
LBJI is pleased to announce the addition of a new office in Schererville, IN
Ryan J. Plank, MD and John A. Guzzo, MD will begin seeing patients in April 2015 at our new Schererville location. This office is located at the Southwest corner of Hwy 30 and Hwy 41 at 833 W. Lincoln Hwy, Suite 110E, Schererville, IN 46375.
To schedule an appointment please call 219-921-1444.
See all locations
Meet John A. Guzzo, M.D., Orthopedic Surgeon
I am new to Northwest Indiana and joined Lakeshore Bone & Joint Institute in 2014. While the geographic area might be new to me, those I have met here have made me feel right at home. Read more